PATRIARCH OF UGCC CALLS ON FAITHFUL TO DAILY UNITE IN PRAYER FOR UKRAINE
4 December 2018
Patriarch of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Sviatoslav (Shevchuk) urged the faithful to pray for Ukraine every day at 21:00 (Kyiv time) and to observe fast on the day that was specially designated by their diocese.
It is reported by the Department of Information of the UGCC.
“I beg you all: at 21:00 stand up to prayer before God, pray for Ukraine. Pray for our guys who are in captivity. Pray for those who have already been forgotten, and for those who have recently fallen into the hands of the enemy on the Black Sea,” said the Hierarch on December 2 during the consecration of the Cathedral of the Most Holy Theotokos of the monastery of the Basilian Fathers in Bryukhovychi (Lviv).
“I entreat you: note when your eparchy appoints a day of fasting, and on that day keep fast with bread and water in order to feel solidarity with those who have nothing to eat, with those who suffer tortures and beating,” said His Beatitude Sviatoslav.
The Primate reminded that on December 1 a regular Synod of Ukrainian bishops ended its work, following which a separate appeal was issued to all the faithful for the special and intensive prayer for our country.
The document says that on the eve of the Christmas fast another heavy test befell Ukraine – an open manifestation of aggression on the part of the Russian Federation.
The international community condemned such a manifestation of military aggression, and the Ukrainian authorities imposed martial law in almost half of the country’s regions.
Facing jointly with the nation all the threats, suffering, the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church urged the faithful to pray for protection from foreign aggression and for the restoration of peace and territorial integrity in our country.
Practical pastoral instructions on joint prayer and fasting for Ukraine
- We authorize to hold in the parishes, monasteries and seminaries a continuous prayer around the clock, according to the order specified by fathers, pastors and superiors.
- We call on all of our faithful and people of goodwill to unite in common prayer for Ukraine at 21:00 every day with the following intentions:
– Monday – for the successful ministry of the President, the Government and the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine;
– Tuesday – as our Lord Jesus Christ taught us, we pray for our enemies: for the conversion of those who persecute and attack us;
– Wednesday – for the Ukrainian army;
– Thursday – for law enforcement agencies and police;
– Friday – for wounded, prisoners, refugees and their families;
– Saturday – remembrance of the deceased, in particular the fallen soldiers and all innocent victims;
– Sunday – for the unity and unity of Ukraine.
- We encourage the faithful also to private prayers for Ukraine.
- We declare a continuous, strict fasting in our dioceses and exarchates in the following order:
– Monday – Kyiv Archeparchy, Donetsk, Kharkiv, Odesa and Crimea Exarchates;
– Tuesday – Lviv Archeparchy, Stryi diocese;
– Wednesday – Ivano-Frankivsk Archeparchy, Kolomyia diocese, Chernivtsi diocese;
– Thursday – Ternopil-Zboriv Archeparchy, Buchatsk diocese, Sambir-Drohobych diocese;
– Friday – Sokal-Zhovkva diocese, Lutsk exarchate.
- We instruct to sing the prayer “God, Great and One” after every Divine Liturgy.