The parish is the place where Christian holiness most often germinates, grows, and matures. For this reason the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in 2011, in its concern for the spiritual renewal of our entire Church, focused its particular attention on the parish, that foundational portion of the People of God, which strives for holiness under the guidance of its bishop as father and teacher of the faith. The program, which the Holy Synod approved, is called, “The Vibrant Parish – a place to encounter the living Christ.” The goal of this pastoral program is to help all the faithful of our Church to learn “to live in order to please God” and thus to grow in holiness and unity in Christ Jesus. (From the Pastoral Letter of his Beatitude Sviatoslav, December 2011)
Our Church is established throughout the world, and wherever we are, there we are called to bloom with spiritual life and grow. If we think about our program of pastoral renewal, “The Vibrant Parish – a Place to Encounter the Living Christ”, we can say that its goal is to help us grown in Christ! Each one of us individually, every family, every parish, and our Church as a whole, together we are called:
- To grow in FAITH – by seeking knowledge and understanding of the truths of our faith, especially through reading and reflecting on the Bible and our new Catechism, “Christ – Our Pascha’,
- To grow in HOLINESS – through participation in the liturgical life of the Church and be leading a life of prayer,
- To grow in LOVE – by inviting others to experience God’s love through our works of charity.
- To grow in SERVICE – by contributing of our time, talents, and treasure for the building up of God’s Kingdom,
- To grow in UNITY – by living an working together in peach and harmony,
- To grow in NUMBERS – by supporting the missionary activity of our Church and inviting others to become children of God and partakers in divine life.
(From the Jordan Blessing of his Beatitude of Sviatoslav, January 2015)
Read Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk’s Vibrant Parish Pastoral Letter in English and Ukrainian click on the picture….